Overbuff Recall - December 20, 2019
The holiday season in the US is traditionally a time where Overwatch news only trickles in while many at Blizzard are taking vacations, taking time away from work, or are taking it easy while everyone else is out of the office.
Here are some of the few happenings from the past week.
- Accounts using a cheat bot known as Pentagon have been banned. For up to $155 a month, buyers were able to cheat their way through the ranks.
- Eternal Academy announced it would be returning to Contenders. The Paris Eternal academy team disbanded this past spring after dropping into Contenders Trials.
- The San Francisco Shock won ESPN’s Best Esports Team of the Year from ESPN. Fan polling gave the award to League of Legends team G2 Esports.
- The Open Division Breakable Barriers tournament part 1 took place with Yo Yes defeating Old Man Strength 3-1 in NA, and the British Hurricane beating Raspberry Racers 3-0 in Europe.
- The second Breakable Barriers tournament takes place this weekend. Information and registration links may be found on Reddit, and signups end not too long after this publishing, so hurry if you’re interested!
- TeamSpeak became the official voice chat for the Overwatch League. I joked on my personal Twitter about how gamers are just now finding out that TeamSpeak still exists, but the reality is that TeamSpeak does a lot of VOIP work for the corporate world. As for OWL, having a comms system that is consistent, reliable, and works the same in every venue next year is going to be very important.
Photo by Robert Paul for Blizzard Entertainment.
OWL 2020 First Map Pool
The Overwatch League tweeted out the map pool in video format. Here it is in text form:
- Lijiang Tower
- Horizon: Lunar Colony
- Temple of Anubis
- Blizzard World
- Kings Row
Unless something changes mid-season, the new Push map type will not be a part of the 2020 season.